GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate Tester is a pocket size lightweight tester is designed for communication tool for the deployment and verification of E1 networks. This E1 BER (Bit Error Rate) tester is a multi-functional, handheld E1 line test instrument, specially designed for R&D, production, installation and maintenance of SDH, PDH, PCM, and DATA protocol conversion. It features self-check and keyboard testing, extensive error and alarm generation, detection and indication. This tester provides smart menu navigation and has a large color LCD screen allowing test results to be displayed clearly. Test results can be downloaded or printed via included software. It is an ideal device for fast problem resolution, E1 PCM line access, maintenance and acceptance testing.
- Easy-to-use, handheld design
- Full-featured measurements of E1, Datacom and Protocol Converter
- High resolution backlight LCD
- Performance analysis in accordance with ITU-T G.821, G.826 and M.2100
- Extensive error and alarm generation, detection and indication
- Frequency, Offset and Level measurements
- Save/Recall of up to 10 user-defined setups and 10 sets of results
- Auto, Manual and Timer measurements
- More than 6 hours operation with a single battery charge
- Built-in Ni-MH rechargeable batteries and smart charger circuitry (automobile adaptor included)
- Upgradable embedded software via an integrated RS232C interface
- Test results could be uploaded and analyzed with software provided
|Measuring Interface||E1 (2048 kb/s)|
|Standards||G.703, G.704, G.706, G.732|
|Line Code||HDB3, AMI|
|Impedance||75Ω unbalanced, 120Ω balanced
High input impedance: >2 KΩ
|Tx Clock Source||Internal, Interface|
|Offset Measurement||Frequency||2.048 MHz|
|Stability||± 10 ppm|
|Ageing||± 2 ppm per year|
|Deviation||± 999 ppm|
|Receiver rate||2.048 Mbit/s|
|Receiver Sensitivity||-43 dB|
|AC Power Adapter||Input: AC 100 V ~ 240 V ±10 %
Output: DC 12 V/1.5 A
|Dimension||8.98 in × 4.61 in/2.83 in× 2.09 in (228 mm×117 mm/72 mm×53 mm)|
|Weight||17.64 ounce (500 g)|
|Humidity||5 % to 95 % non-condensing|
|Storage Temperature||-22 ˚F to +158 ˚F (-30 ˚C to +70 ˚C)|
|Operating Temperature||32 ˚F to +122 ˚F (0˚C to +50˚C)|
This package includes
|GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester||1pcs|
|E1 75Ω unbalanced Test Cable||1pcs|
|E1 120Ω balanced Test Cable||1pcs|
|USB Communication Cable||1pcs|
|AC Power Adapter||1pcs|
|Li-ion Rechargeable Battery(Built-in)||1pcs|
|Software Setup CD||1pcs|
- In-service framed and unframed testing
- Hi-Z and through mode testing
- CODE, FAS, CRC4, E-BIT BER testing
- Frame data and timeslot activity monitoring
- CAS and CCS signaling monitoring
Options are available at an additional cost and not included in the base price.
Compositions of Instrument:
- Front panel: LCD display, LED alarm and status indicators, keyboard.
- Back panel: four disassembly-proof label, serial number label, back cover.
- Front end: Rx, Tx input/output interface (L9 coaxial, RJ-45), 12 VDC input jack and USB port.
Appearance of Instrument
GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester has 16 functional keys at the front panel, including main functional keys, soft keys, cursor keys, page keys, a backlight key, a power switch key, a start/stop key, and a single-error-add key.
GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester has 10 LED status and alarm indicators in all, including 2 status indicators and 8 alarm indicators, mainly indicating the current operating status of instrument and if any alarm is detected during the test process.
This instrument can be powered by external power supply or built-in rechargeable batteries.
The rechargeable batteries will typically power the instrument for more than 8 hours with the backlight and testing mode selected. The instrument uses 1 high-performance Lithium (Li-ion) rechargeable batteries (1000 mAh) placed in the battery case that may not be fully charged when the user receives the instrument. Whatever the state of charge, use the instrument until the battery is completely exhausted before giving it its first charge. This will ensure better accuracy from the battery charge indicator.
- Plug in AC adapter with the power cord, the “Charge” indicator of this instrument will turn on;
- This instrument can be switched on after “Power” key has been pressed for about 1 second. After switch-on, the LCD will display the name and the embedded software version of the instrument. About 1 second later comes with one beep, indicating that the switch-on process is completed and the LCD displays the settings menu.
- This instrument can be switched off by pressing the “Power” key again for about 1 second. When the battery has been fully charged, remove the AC power adapter. Under power supply by battery, this instrument can be switched on or off by pressing the “Power” key.
- Loopback the E1 input and output interface of the instrument with E1 75Ω unbalanced test cable.
- Switch on the instrument and check if LCD display and LED indicators are normal.
- Select error insertion type as “Single”, and press the “Single Err Add” key to check if the instrument detects errors and operates properly.
- When the user receives the instrument at the first time, please use the instrument until the battery is completely exhausted before giving its first charge.
Communication with PC
This instrument supports communication with PC via USB port by TestManagerPro software. TestManagerPro can do two jobs: one is to upload the test results stored in the instrument to PC for further processing including filing, printing and analyzing, and the other is to upgrade the embedded software of the tester via PC.
- Switch off the instrument.
- Connect USB port of the instrument to PC USB port with supplied USB communication cable.
- Switch on the instrument.
- Set PC Communication to ON in “Others” menu of the instrument.
- Run the TestManagerPro software on PC, click “Select” button to choose the model of the tester and click “Connect” button. After the successful connection, the user can upload, view, analyze, delete, print test results in the format of Excel or TXT and do other operations.
- Switch off the instrument after communication with PC.
- Pull out the USB communication cable.
Navigating the Displays
The operating menus of the GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester includes “Settings”, “Results”, “Storages” and “Others” menu, matched with the “Setting”, “Result”, “Storage” and “Other” functional keys respectively. These four menus can be switched from one to another at any time by pressing these four functional keys.
When performing the measurements for the first time with the instrument, some operators may not be familiar with the setting parameters or may have no idea of how to set the testing parameters correctly. The auto configure function is an intelligent setting tool provided by the instrument. It can help the operator in the circumstances when the operator is not familiar with the application of the instrument or the relevant parameters of the system under test are undetermined. The auto configure function will simplify the settings of the instrument.
Perform the measurements:
The basic procedure of making measurements with the instrument is:
- Select the test interface.
- Set up the measurement parameters.
- Perform the measurement.
- Display or store the results.
- Upload and analyze the stored results.
- Print the record form of the results.
Out-of-service Bit Error Rate Testing
The out-of-service error testing is mainly performed in R&D, manufacturing, field installation, engineering acceptance and daily maintenance of equipment. It can accurately perform measurements of the transmission quality of the system under test. In addition, the instrument will give full analysis on the error, signal, alarm seconds and event records, and etc. The out-of-service testing can be performed by far-end loopback and far-end mutual test.
Out-of-service BER Testing (Far-end Loopback)
Out-of-service BER Testing (Far-end Mutual Test)
In applications when the service cannot be interrupted, such as the transmission of the real-time accounting information, mobile base connection, user should make the measurements under the in-service testing mode. In-service testing provides monitoring error performance on FAS, CRC4 and E-BIT. There are two in-service testing mode including “RX HI-Z” mode and “Through” mode for user to choose based on practical needs.
“RX HI-Z” mode in-service testing
“Through” mode in-service testing
N×64Kb/s Bit Error Rate Testing
GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester is capable of testing one or several 64kb/s channels in the E1 transmission channel. Nx64kb/s BER testing is used to check timeslot integrity through the digital cross-connection equipment in R&D and engineering. A test pattern is transmitted over a group of timeslots from the near end. At the far end, the expected receive timeslots are selected and bit error rate is calculated. The E1 digital cross-connection equipment can switch one received timeslot to any timeslot of the other E1. In E1 “TX/RX” mode framed testing, select a group of timeslots in the transmit direction and expected timeslots in the receive direction to make the BER testing.
N×64Kb/s BER testing
When performing in-service testing (“RX HI-Z” or “Through” mode), not only the error measurement can be tested, but also the data and activities of all 64kb/s timeslot and signaling words in E1 signal can be monitored. It is mainly used in the testing of Exchanger, PCM DXC equipment, E1 multiplexer in R&D and engineering
Comply with G.703, G.706, G.732
- PRBS: 223-1 (O.151), 215-1 (O.151)
- 211-1(O.153), 29-1
- Fixed Code: 1111, 0000, 1010
- 16BIT: Fully programmable 16-bit word
- PRBS Polarity: “Normal” or “Inverted”
Working with TestManagerPro:
TestManagerPro communicates with series instruments via USB port or Ethernet port in PC. It can support uploading the stored data from the instrument, viewing and printing the stored results
Basic functions of TestManagerPro:
- Select the type of the instrument.
- Connect the instrument.
- Upload the test results stored in the instrument.
- View the stored results.
- Analyze the stored results.
- Clean up the uploaded records.
- Print the test results with report format.
- Configuration file management
- Configuration file Synchronization
- Upgrade the embedded software.
System Configuration and Running Environment:
- Firmware Basic Configuration Required
PC ：586/133 MHz or better
Memory ：16 MB or above
Hard disk：500 MB or above
Standard mouse and keyboard
Windows-compatible printer or plotter
CD-ROM drive for installation
Network card and cable
- Software Configuration Required
- System Configuration Recommendation
System display mode: 800×600 Pixels
Install the printer or plotter before setup
How to Use TestManagerPro:
- Connect the Instrument
Connect the instrument and the PC with network cable or USB cable. Choose the corresponding communication port in PC communication menu, and select GAOTek Handheld Gigabit Ethernet Tester as the type of instrument in the TestManagerPro software, then click Connect. If the Ethernet port is selected as communication port, the IP address in the instrument should be select accordingly.
- TestManagerPro Software Operation
Graphic windows help you operate TestManagerPro software simply and easily