Surface water monitoring involves the systematic observation and analysis of the quality and quantity of water in various natural bodies of water, such as rivers, lakes, and ponds. This monitoring process is crucial for understanding the health of aquatic ecosystems, ensuring the availability of safe drinking water, and managing water resources sustainably.
Depending on specific features and functions, GAO Tek’s water quality testers are sometimes referred to as Aquatic Quality Analyzers, Hydro-Environmental Sensors, H2O Purity Monitors, Aquatic Health Assessors, Water Chemistry Analyzers, Liquid Purity Gauges, Hydrologic Quality Sensors, Aquatic Contaminant Detectors, Liquid Clarity Testers, Water Pollutant Monitors, Hydro-Ecological Samplers, Aqua-Environmental Probes, Liquid Toxicity Checkers, Hydro-Resource Analyzers, Water Impurity Detectors, Aqua-Chemical Analyzers, Liquid Ecosystem Assessors, Hydrological Contaminant Meters, Aquatic Integrity Probes, Water Elemental Testers.
GAO Tek’s water quality testers have the following applications in Surface water monitoring:
- Pollution Detection and Source Tracking: Water quality testers can detect and quantify pollutants, such as heavy metals, nutrients, pesticides, and organic contaminants. By analyzing the composition of water samples, these testers help identify potential pollution sources and enable timely intervention to prevent further contamination.
- Dissolved Oxygen Monitoring: Monitoring dissolved oxygen levels is essential for assessing the overall health of aquatic ecosystems. Water quality testers measure oxygen saturation, helping to identify areas with low oxygen, which can lead to fish kills and other ecological imbalances.
- PH Measurement: pH levels influence the solubility of various chemicals and can impact aquatic organisms. Water quality testers measure pH to ensure that water bodies remain within a suitable range for aquatic life.
- Nutrient Assessment: Water quality testers determine nutrient concentrations, including nitrogen and phosphorus. These nutrients can cause eutrophication, leading to excessive algal growth and oxygen depletion. Monitoring nutrient levels helps manage nutrient pollution.
- Turbidity Analysis: Turbidity refers to water cloudiness caused by suspended particles. High turbidity can affect light penetration, aquatic plant growth, and overall water quality. Testers measure turbidity to gauge water clarity and its impact on aquatic ecosystems.
- Temperature Monitoring: Water temperature affects various biological and chemical processes in aquatic systems. Testers help track temperature changes that may influence species distribution, metabolic rates, and overall ecosystem dynamics.
- Pathogen Detection: Water quality testers can identify the presence of harmful bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. This is important for assessing the safety of water bodies for recreational use and drinking water sources.
- Sediment Assessment: Sediments can carry contaminants and nutrients into water bodies. Testers help analyze sediment characteristics, aiding in the assessment of sediment pollution and its potential impacts.
- Heavy Metal Analysis: Water quality testers detect heavy metal concentrations, which can be toxic to aquatic life and humans. Monitoring heavy metals is vital for ensuring water safety and ecosystem health.
- Algal Blooms Monitoring: Some testers can identify algal species and toxins produced during harmful algal blooms. Monitoring for these blooms is essential to protect aquatic life and human health.
- Real-time Monitoring: Advanced water quality testers offer real-time data collection, enabling early warning systems for pollution events, sudden changes in water quality, or other emergencies.
- Data Collection for Research and Regulation: Water quality testers provide data for research on long-term trends, climate change impacts, and the effectiveness of water quality regulations and management strategies.
- Baseline Assessments: Testers help establish baseline water quality data for new or previously unmonitored water bodies, aiding in the evaluation of changes over time.
More information on water quality testers and their applications in other industries can be found on this page.
This category page lists related products.
GAO Tek’s targeted markets are North America, particularly the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Europe. Hence, in addition to English, this website gaotek.com is offered in other major languages of North America and Europe such as Spanish, French, German, Italian, Polish, Ukrainian, Romanian, Russian, Dutch, Turkish, Greek, Hungarian, Swedish, Czech, Portuguese, Serbian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Slovak, Catalan, Lithuanian, Bosnian, Galician, Slovene, Latvian, Estonian, Welsh, Icelandic, and Irish.
Complying with Surface water monitoring Standards
GAO Tek’s water quality testers comply or help our customers comply with the surface water monitoring standards such as
- ISO 5667-1:2006
- ISO 5667-3:2012
- ISO 5667-11:2001
- ISO 10304-1:2007
- ISO 10260:1992
- ASTM D858-18
- EPA Method 160.2
- EPA Method 180.1
- EPA Method 200.7
Complying with Government Regulations
GAO Tek’s water quality testers comply or help our customers comply with the U.S. government regulations such as
- Clean Water Act (CWA)
- Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
- Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF)
- Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Program
- National Ambient Water Quality Standards (NAAQS)
- Surface Water Monitoring Rule
- EPA Methodology for Deriving Ambient Water Quality Criteria for the Protection of Human Health (2015)
- EPA’s Water Quality Standards Handbook
- EPA’s National Aquatic Resource Surveys (NARS)
- EPA’s Clean Water Monitoring and Assessment Programs
GAO Tek’s water quality testers comply or help our clients comply with the Canadian regulations such as
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA 1999)
- Fisheries Act
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (CEAA 2012)
- Canadian Water Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Aquatic Life (CCME)
- Federal Water Quality Guidelines (CCME)
- Environmental Emergencies Regulations
- Canada Water Act
- National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI)
- Wastewater Systems Effluent Regulations
- Canadian Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Network (CEMAN)
- Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment (CCME)
GAO Tek’s water quality testers comply or help our clients comply with the Mexican regulations such as
- Ley General para la Prevención y Gestión Integral de los Residuos
- Ley de Aguas Nacionales
- Norma Oficial Mexicana NOM-001-SEMARNAT-1996
- Norma Oficial Mexicana NOM-002-SEMARNAT-1996
- Programa de Monitoreo de la Calidad del Agua en Cuerpos de Agua Federales
- Norma Mexicana NMX-AA-159-SCFI-2012
- Norma Mexicana NMX-AA-165-SCFI-2013
- Norma Mexicana NMX-AA-167-SCFI-2015
- Programa Nacional Hídrico
- Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (SEMARNAT)
GAO Tek’s water quality testers comply or help our clients comply with the European regulations such as
- Water Framework Directive (WFD) 2000/60/EC
- Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive (UWWTD) 91/271/EEC
- Environmental Quality Standards Directive (EQSD) 2008/105/EC
- Nitrates Directive (91/676/EEC)
- Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) 2008/56/EC
- Directive 2006/7/EC on the Management of Bathing Water Quality
- Directive 2003/4/EC on Public Access to Environmental Information
- Directive 2009/90/EC on, as regards permissible levels of pollutants in surface water
- Directive 2013/39/EU amending Directives 2000/60/EC and 2008/105/EC
- Directive 2015/1513 amending Directives 2008/98/EC, 94/62/EC, and 1999/31/EC
- European Environment Agency (EEA)
Case Studies of water quality testers in surface water monitoring
Water quality testers are sometimes called as Aquatic Quality Analyzers, Hydro-Environmental Sensors, Liquid Purity Monitors, Aquatic Health Assessors, Water Chemistry Analyzers, Hydrologic Quality Sensors, Aqua-Integrity Detectors, Liquid Clarity Gauges, Hydro-Ecological Monitors, Water Pollution Detectors, Aqua-Chemical Probes, Liquid Contaminant Analyzers, Hydro-Resource Meters, Water Impurity Sensors, Aqua-Biological Analyzers, Liquid Ecosystem Monitors, Hydrological Contaminant Testers, Aquatic Wellness Sensors, Water Element Analyzers, Liquid Toxicity Monitors.
Here are some practical examples of using water quality testers in surface water monitoring:
Academic Databases search platforms like PubMed, ScienceDirect, and Google Scholar for research articles related to water quality monitoring and specific water quality tester technologies in the Northeast U.S.
Government Agencies check the websites of federal, state, and local environmental agencies in the Northeast U.S. They may publish case studies, reports, and data related to water quality monitoring projects.
Environmental Organizations explore websites of environmental non-profits, watershed associations, and research organizations based in the Midwest U.S. They might have information on case studies they have conducted.
University Research Centers look into universities in the South with environmental science or water-related departments. They might have case studies or research publications related to water quality testing.
Scientific Journals search for journals that focus on environmental science, water quality, and monitoring. Journals often publish case studies as part of research articles.
Conference Proceedings check proceedings from Canadian conferences and workshops related to environmental science, water quality, and monitoring.
Online Databases utilize online databases of environmental research and water quality studies, even if not region-specific. They might contain relevant case studies.
Contact Experts reach out to experts in the field, professors, researchers, or professionals working on water quality monitoring in Europe. They might share insights or point you toward relevant studies.
GAO RFID Inc., a sister company of GAO Tek Inc., is ranked as a top 10 RFID supplier in the world. Its RFID, BLE, and IoT products have also been widely used in surface water monitoring.
Use of water quality testers with Leading Software and Cloud Services in surface water monitoring
GAO Tek has used or has facilitated its customers to use GAO’s water quality testers with some of the leading software and cloud services in their applications. Examples of such leading software and cloud services include
YSI Ecosense Environmental Monitoring Software
Hach Water Quality Analysis Software
Thermo Scientific AquaManager Software
In-Situ VuSitu App
Hanna Instruments HI92000 PC Software
Oakton DataLogger App
Sea-Bird Scientific SeaSoft V2 Software
Eutech Instruments DataSuite Software
Horiba Water Quality Management Software
Lovibond Water Testing Software
Aquatic Informatics Aquarius Forecast
LabWare LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System)
EQuIS (Environmental Quality Information System)
WISKI (Water Information System for Kentucky)
Hach Water Intelligence System
Aquatic Informatics AQUARIUS WebPortal
EOMAP Water Monitoring Platform
YSI IQ SensorNet
Thermo Fisher Connect
In-Situ HydroVu Data Services
Xylem Cloud-Based Solutions
KISTERS Cloud Solutions for Water Data Management
Horiba W-NEWS Environmental Management Cloud Platform
OTT Hydromet Web-Connectivity Solutions
Aquatic Informatics AQUARIUS CloudSuite
LabWare Cloud LIMS
KISTERS Cloud Solutions for Water Data Analysis
OTT Hydromet Hydrosphere Data Platform
IBM Watson for Water Management
Microsoft Azure for Environmental Data Analysis
AWS Cloud Services for Water Quality Analysis
GAO Tek’s water quality testers and their applications in other industries are listed on this page.
Other related products can be found at this category page.
GAO Has Many Customers in surface water monitoring
The products from both GAO Tek Inc. and GAO RFID Inc. have been widely used in surface water monitoring by many customers, including some leading companies. Here is more information on applications of GAO RFID Inc.’s water quality testers in surface water monitoring.
Here are some of GAO’s customers in surface water monitoring:
- Hach Company
- YSI Incorporated
- Xylem Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- EON Products Inc.
- Aqualogic Inc.
- EcoAnalysts, Inc.
- SePRO Corporation
- Alpha Analytical
- Aquatic Informatics
- Hydro International
- HORIBA Group
- OTT Hydromet
- Eutech Instruments
- Horiba Instruments
- In-Situ Inc.