- Two measuring methods: Magnetic induction (F) and Eddy Current
- Two measuring modes: Single and continuous (Note: Continuous mode is convenient to measure the coating thickness of curved objects and tiny objects)
- Metric/Imperial selectable system
- Manual or automatic shut down
- Automatic memory of calibration value and automatic recognizable substrate
- Operation processes have buzzing reminder in single. No buzzing in continuous mode.
- Use “USB data Output” and “RS-232 data output” to connect to PC
- Provide “Bluetooth” data output” choice
- It has several types of probes which makes measuring is more flexible.
|Range||0 ~ 1250 um/0~50 mil|
|Resolution||0.1 um (0 ~ 99.9 um)
1 um (over 100 um)
|Accuracy||+ 1 ~ 3% n or 2.5 um or 0.1 mil|
|Min. Radius work piece||F Type: Convex 0.06 in(1.5 mm)/concave|
|NF Type: convex 0.12 in (3 mm)/concave|
|Min. Measuring Area||0.232 in (6 mm)|
|Min. Sample Thickness||0.011 in (0.3 mm)|
|Display||4 digits, 0.39 in (10 mm) LCD|
|Battery Indicator||Low battery indicator|
|Automatic Power Off||Yes|
|PC Interface||With RS 232 C Interface|
|Power Supply||4 X 1.5 AAA ( UM -4) battery|
|Operating Condition||Temp. 32 oF ~ 122 oF (0 ~ 50 oC)
Humidity < 80 %
|Size||5.0 in x 2.6 in x 1.1 in
(126 mm x 65 mm x 27 mm)
|Weight||About 0.035 oz. (120 g)
(not including the batteries)
- It meets the standards of ISO2178 and ISO-2360 as well as DIN. ASTM and BS. Suitable for the laboratory and for the use in harsh field conditions
- The F probes measure the thickness of nonmagnetic materials (e.g. paint, plastic, porcelain enamel, copper, zinc, aluminum, chrome etc) coat on magnetic materials (e.g. iron, nickel etc). It is often used to measure the thickness of galvanizing layer, phosphide layer, porcelain enamel layer, phosphide layer, copper tile, aluminum tile, alloy tile, paper etc.
- The N probe measures the thickness of non magnetic coatings on non magnetic metals. It is used on anodizing, varnish, paint, enamel, plastic coatings, powder etc applied to aluminum, brass, non magnetic stainless steel etc
|Accessories||Carrying Case ….. 1 pc
Operation Manual …… 1 pc
F Probe ……….1 pc
N Probe …….. 1 pc
Calibration foils …… 1 set
Substrate (Iron) ……. 1 pc
Substrate (Aluminium) ….. 1 pc
|Optional accessories||Cable and Software for RS 232 C|
3-3 Zero Key
3-4 Plus Key
3-5 Minus Key
3-6 Power key (multi-functional)
3-7 um.mil conversion key (shortcut key)
3-8 Battery Compartment/Cover
3-9 Jack for RS 232 C interface
3-10 S/C Key (Single/Continuous)
- Plug in F-probe or NF-probe according to measuring body
- Press the Power Key (3-6) to switch o the gauge and “0” displays on the display (3-2). The gauge will restore the state of last operation. The gauge can recognize the probe itself with symbol “Fe” or “NFe” on the display.
- Place the probe (3-1) onto a coating layer to be measured. The reading on the display is the thickness of the coating layer. The reading can be corrected by pressing the “PLUS” key (3-5) while the probe is away from the substrate or the measured body.
- To take the next measurements just lift the probe (3-1) to more than 1 cm and then repeat the step 3.
- If suspecting the accuracy of measurement, you should calibrate the gauge before taking the measurements. For the calibration procedures please refer to the “CALIBRATION” section below
- The gauge can be switched off by pressing the “POWER KEY” (3-6). On the other side the gauge will be switched off after about 50 seconds from last operation.
- To change the measurement unit “UM” or “MIL” by doing the following
- Pressing the shortcut key (3-7) or
- Pressing “POWER” key and not releasing it till “UNIT” on the display and the pressing “ZERO” key (3-3). It will take about 7 seconds to display.
- To change measurement mode from the single to continuous or vice versa by doing the following the steps
- Pressing the “SC” key or
- “POWER” key and releasing it till “SC” shows on the display and then
- Pressing “ZERO” key (3-3). The symbol “((-))” represents he continuous
- Mode and “S” represents single mode. It will take about 9 seconds since
- Pressing the “POWER” key.
- Zero Adjustment
Zero calibration for “Fe” and “NFe” should be carried out separately. Take the iron substrate if “Fe” is on the display and take the aluminum substrate if “NFe” is on the display. Place the probe (3-1) on substrate steadily. Press the “ZERO” key (3-3) and “0” will be on the display before lifting the Probe. If pressing the “ZERO” key and probe is not placed on the substrate or on an uncoated standard then the zero calibration is invalid.
- Select an appropriate calibration foil according to your measurement range.
- Place the standard foil selected onto the substrate or the uncoated standard.
- Place the sensor (3-1) mildly onto the standard foil and lift. The reading on the display is the measured value. The displayed reading can be corrected by pressing the “PLUS” key (3-4) or “MINUS” key (3-5) while the probe is away from the substrate or the measured body.
- Repeat the step 4 until the result is correct.
- When it is necessary to replace the battery the battery symbol will appear on the display.
- Slide the battery cover in the instrument and remove the batteries
- Install the batteries (4 X 1.5 V AAA/UM-4) correctly into the case.
- If the instrument is not to be used for any extended period remove the batteries.
- In order to weaken the influence of the measured material on the accuracy of measurement it is recommended that the calibrations should be done on the uncoated material to be measured.
- Probes will eventually wear and tear. Probes’ life is depend on the number of measurements taken and on how abrasive the coating is. Replacement of a probe can be fitted by qualified persons only.
RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS
When to restore?
- The gauge does not measure any more
- Measurement accuracy is degraded because of the abraded probe or by environmental conditions changed greatly.
- Replacement of a new probe.
How to restore?
Restore factory settings include “Fe” setting and “NFe” setting. You can restore one of them or both of them together. Please follow procedures below to restore factory settings.
- Please note the symbol on the display is “Fe” setting and “NFe”. If “Fe” is on the display the operation below is restoring the factory setting for “Fe” defaults. If “NFe” is on the display then the operation below is restoring the factory setting for “NFe” defaults.
- Press “POWER” and release it till “CAL” appears on the display. It takes about 5 seconds from since the pressing
- When “F:H” or “nF:H” is on display lift the probe to more than 5 cm. Now press “ZERO” key again to make the gauge return to measurement state. The factory setting is restored. Remember restoring should be completed within 6 seconds at every stage. Otherwise the gauge will exit restoring process and the changes will not be saved.
- Settings include restoring factory setting, unit setting and S/C setting which should be done within 6 seconds at every stage. Otherwise the gauge will exit the procedure by itself and go to earlier status.
- It is strongly recommended that no change should be made to the value of “Ln” (controlled by POWER key. It takes about 11 seconds since the pressing, its value can be changed by PLUS/MINUS key after displaying “Ln” and releasing the “POWER” key. Store its value an exit by pressing “ZERO” key). This will seriously affect the accuracy. Its value can be adjusted by professional persons only under the cases of replacing a new probe or making the gauge more accurate .Generally the larger the value of “Ln” the smaller the reading on a same thickness. A little variation of value of Ln will cause a great change in reading at high end (e.g. at 500 um/ 20 mil). The rules to adjust the value of “Ln” are as follows:
- Reading at low end can be adjusted to the exact value by the “PLUS” or “MINUS” key.
- To enlarge the “Ln” if readings at low end (e.g. at 51 um) is fine but reading at high end (e.g. 432 um) is too large. On the contrary to decrease the Ln if reading at low end (e.g. at 432 um) is too small.
- Repeat procedures from “a” to “b” till the readings on the every standard foil are satisfying the accuracy.