- Meant for FTTH environment and also for ordinary fiber engineering
- 5-inch digital high-definition LCD display
- PAS (Profile Alignment Systems) precise core alignment to ensure low loss
- 8 seconds welding, 30s heat shrink
- X / Y axis is displayed separately, 300/200 times magnification
- Three in one fixture, welding core, flex, pigtail
- Auto, Manual & Half-Auto splicing modes
- Wind and dust resistant
- Built-in high-capacity rechargeable lithium battery
- USB Interface allows convenient data download and software update
|Splicing Type||SM, MM, DS, NZDS|
|Splicing Loss||0.02 dB(SM), 0.01 dB(MM), 0.04 dB(DS)，|
|Return Loss||>60 dB|
|Splicing Mode||Manual, Half Auto, Auto|
|Fiber Alignment||Core to Core Alignment by PAS technology|
|Applicable Fiber||Cable indoor and 9.8 in (0.25 mm), 35.43 in (0.9 mm) fiber, SC connector (option)|
|Splicing Time||≤9 s|
|Heat Time||≤30 s|
|Cleaved Length||0.31 in～0.62 in (8 mm～16 mm)|
|Fiber Image/ Magnification||300/200 times|
|Tension Test||Standard 2 N (option)|
|Heat Shrinkable Sleeve||2.36 in (60 mm), 1.57 in (40 mm) and serials heat Shrinkable Sleeve|
|Battery Capacity||200 cycles splicing and heating, 3 hours charging time (splicing and charging at same time)|
|Battery Life||Cycling charge 300-500 times, easy to replace battery|
|Electrodes Life||3000, easy to replace electrodes|
|Power Source||≤20 W|
|Construction Lighting||Built-in high brightness, wide range of lights, easy to|
operate at night
|Power supply||Built-in lithium battery 5200 mAh.|
11.1 V; external adapter, input: AC 100 V-240 V, output: DC 13.5 V/4.5 A
|Operating Condition||(0-16404 ft ) 0 m-5000 m above sea level|
|Temperature||14 °F–140 °F (-10 °C–60 °C)|
|Humidity||0 %～95 % RH (No dew)|
|Dimension (L × W × H)||5.31 in × 6.22 in × 6.10 in (135 mm × 158 mm × 155 mm)|
|Weight||4.36 lbs (1.98 kg) (including battery)|
- Telecom Engineering and Maintenance
- Integrated wiring system
- Construction and maintenance of other networks
- Scientific research, laboratory, teaching
Parts of the Fusion Splicer
Descriptions of the Keyboard
|Keyboard||Standby mode||Mode of manual operation||Mode of automatic operation||Mode of parameter menu|
|Power switch||Power switch||Power switch||Power switch|
|To increase the brightness of the display||The optical fiber moves upward||Invalid||Increase the parameter quantum or move the cursor|
|To reduce the brightness of the display||The optical fiber moves downward||Invalid||Increase the parameter quantum or move the cursor|
|Invalid||The optical fiber moves left||Invalid||Increase the parameter quantum or move the cursor|
|Turn on the help screen||The optical fiber moves right||Invalid||Increase the parameter quantum or move the cursor|
|To enter the menu mode||To switch on the manual driver at pausing state||Invalid||Select→edit the fusion(heating) parameter files|
|To enter “select splice parameter files” menu||To enter the “select parameter files” menu||Invalid||To enter the next menu interface/ confirm the modifier|
|Invalid||Invalid||Invalid||Exit from the current menu screen|
|Heater switch||Heater switch||Heater switch||Heater switch|
|Reset of motor||Reset of motor||Reset of motor||Invalid|
|Start to fusion||Further propulsion/start fusion||Invalid||Invalid|
|Switch X/Y display screen||Switch X/Y display screen||Switch X/Y display screen||Invalid|
Descriptions of the Power Modules
Fusion Splicer uses 2 in 1 power module design. During the work, the Fusion Splicer can be supplied power by the polymer lithium ion battery separately; or AC adapter can be for electricity supply. When adapter is used for electricity supply, the polymer lithium ion battery is charged at the same time.
When AC power supply is adopted, the AC/DC adapter supplied by the company should be used. The basic parameters of the adapter are as follows:
INPUT: AC 100 V-240 V～1.8 A 50 Hz/60 Hz
OUTPUT: DC 13.5 V/5 A
The AC/DC adapter will not be able to supple normal DC output if the input AC voltage is lower than 100 V or higher than 240 V. At this situation, the DC output line of the adapter must not be inserted into “POWER INPUT “specified on the power module of the Fusion Splicer, otherwise it will cause damage to the fusion splicer.
If lithium battery is arranged in the battery case, the battery pack will also be charged when the adapter is supplying power. However, it is recommended that the Fusion Splicer be shut when charged.
Battery supply operation
The user may choose to use the polymer lithium battery in the splicer to separately supply for the Fusion Splicer.
Checking of battery capacity
When the power module is not in the charged state, press the “PUSH” button on the flank of the power module. Then the four battery capacity indicator (red) lights on the left side will be bright. The number of the lit light represents the highness or lowness of the battery capacity.
When the power module is in the charged state, the four battery capacity indicator (red) lights on the left side will be bright, which only represents the highness of the current charge voltage, not the capacity of the battery.
- Whether the battery capacity is in adequacy, every time the AC power adapter is inserted into “POWER INPUT “on the Fusion Splicer power module, the power module will start a charging process.
- Display of charged state: During the charging, the charging indicator (CHARGE) light is red; after the charging completion, the charging indicator (CHARGE) will be green.
- When the splicer is shut down, the maximum charging time is three hours 40 minutes, and the shortest is 40 minutes. The length of the charging time is dependent on the current battery capacity of the splicer.
- If the splicer is charged when it is active, the charging time should be longer. The user is recommended to charge the battery when the splicer is shut down, thus the charging time will be shortened.
Under Voltage Alarm
This device has the function of “Under Voltage Alarm”. If the capacity of the lithium battery is lower than the specified value (the default value is around 10.3 V), the splicer will automatically alarm and lock the keyboard to disable input. The user should press until the Fusion Splicer is shut down, and charge the lithium battery pack as soon as possible, or use the adapter to supply power.
The other considerations
- If this device is not to be used for more than 1 month, it is suggested to separate the lithium battery and machine for saving.
- The lithium battery should be charged in the environmental temperature ranging between 32 °F～104 °F (0 °C～40 °C).
- The battery, with certain service life, belongs to consumables. When the fusion splicer can only work for a short time despite the battery level of the lithium battery above 90 %, please replace the battery. Please use the battery of the model designated by the Company for replacement.
- Before the battery power supply for the fusion splicer, the battery level must be checked. If the battery is low or the low voltage warning is given, please recharge the lithium battery timely.
- Please do not charge or discharge the battery in a low temperature for a long time to prevent the decrease of the battery life. Accidents may happen if charging or discharging the battery or special battery charger and battery in a high temperature.
- When charging the battery with the special battery charger, immediately disconnect the charger when the battery is fully charged. Huge damage may be incurred or accidents may occur on the lithium battery if the battery fully charged is still under the charging state.
- The battery should be stored in a clean, dry and ventilated indoor environment of temperature ranging 23 °F～95 °F (-5 °C～35 °C) and humidity of 65 %±20 % RH.
- If the battery is stored for a long time, it should be charged with the special charger provided by the Company once every 90 days. The life of the battery may be extended if the battery is half fully charged in a long time.
- It is prohibited to remove the battery without explicit approval or put it into fire, to prevent explosion of battery.
Turn on and turn off
Press button on the operator panel until the LED indicator lights turn from green to red, release the button. When all the motors return to the initial position, the screen shows the reset menu.
Press button on the operator panel until the LED indicator turn from red to green, release the button , now the machine is turned off.
Display brightness control
When the external environment is different, the user can adjust the display brightness for the convenience of the Fusion Splicer operation. Display brightness control should be done in the “standby” operation interface.
- Press orin the “standby” operation interface to change the brightness of the display.
2.Press to confirm the brightness changes, and return to “standby” operation interface.
When the display brightness is moderate, the capacity loss can be reduced, and the endurance of the battery can be prolonged.
Cover fiber protection sleeve
The installation of fiber protection sleeve
- Open the big and small clips of the cutter; push the sliding plate installed with blade from the end to the front.
2.Use fiber stripping pliers to strip fiber coating layer, the length of which is 1.18 in-1.57 in (30 mm-40 mm). Use gauze dipping with alcohol or wadding soft enough to wipe clean the fiber. Wipe with a clean cotton cloth once but do not clean it with the same cloth for the second time. (Notes: Please use the alcohol with purity more than 99 %.)
3.Aim the edge of the fiber coating layer at the “16” calibration of the cutter yardstick and put the fiber into orientation pressure tank with the left hand, and be sure that the bare fiber has been straightly put on the right and left rubber pads.
4.Close the small clip, big clip by right hand and promote sliding plate installed with blade to the other side, and then cut the fiber.
5.Hold the cutter by left hand and open the big clip by right hand and remove the fiber chips to put them in fixed containers.
6.Pinch and hold the fiber with the left hand, and open the small clip with the right hand at the same time, and carefully remove the fiber.
- Notes: The clean cross-section of fiber cannot touch other things.
- Open shielding cover and left and right fiber clips.
- Put the good fiber end face in the V-shaped groove; ensure the tip of the fiber between the tip of the electrode and V-shaped groove’s edge.
- If the fiber is bending, bending part should be upward when placing the fiber.
- To ensure the splice quality of the fiber, the clean cross-section of fiber cannot touch other things.
3.Use fingers to pinch the fiber, and then close the left clip, and press the fiber. Ensure the fiber is placed in the bottom of V-shape groovy. If the fiber is placed incorrect, please replace the fiber. The fiber end face don’t touch the V-shape groove when place the fiber.
4.Place another optical fiber according to the above steps.
5.Close shielding cover.
Critical cleaning points and maintenance checks are described below.
If contaminants are present in the V-grooves, proper clamping may not occur, resulting in higher splice loss. The V-grooves should be frequently inspected and periodically cleaned during normal operation. To clean the V-grooves do the following:
- Open the wind protector.
- Clean the bottom of the V-groove with an alcohol-impregnated thin cotton swab. Remove excess alcohol from the V-groove with a clean dry swab.
- Be careful to not contact the electrode tips.
- Do not use excessive force when cleaning the V-groove. The V-groove arm may get damaged.
- If the contaminants in the V-groove cannot be removed with an alcohol-impregnated thin cotton swab, use a cleaved fiber end-face to dislodge contaminants from the bottom of the V-groove. Repeat step 2 after this procedure.
- If contaminants are present on the clamp chips, proper clamping may not occur, resulting in poor quality splices. The fiber clamp chips should be frequently inspected and periodically cleaned during normal operation.
- To clean the clamp chips, do the following: Open the wind protector. Clean the surface of the chip clamp with an alcohol-impregnated thin cotton swab. Remove excess alcohol from the chip clamp with a clean dry swab.
Cleaning Wind Protector Mirrors
If the wind protector mirrors become dirty, the fiber core position may be incorrect due to decreased optical path clarity, resulting in higher splice loss. To clean the mirrors, do the following: Clean the mirror surface with an alcohol-impregnated thin cotton swab. Remove excess alcohol from the mirror surface with a clean dry swab. Mirror should look clean with no streaks or smudges.
Cleaning Objective Lenses
If the objective lenses’ surface becomes dirty, normal observation of the core position may be incorrect, resulting in higher splice loss or poor splicer operation. Therefore, clean both of them at regular intervals. Otherwise, dirt may accumulate and become impossible to remove. Cleaning Objective Lenses:
- Before cleaning the objective lenses, always turn off the splicer.
- Do not hit or touch tip of electrode when cleaning it.
2.Gently clean the surface of lenses (X-axis and Y-axis) with an alcohol-impregnated thin cotton swab. Using the cotton swab, start at the center of the lens and move the swab in a circular motion until you spiral out to the edge of the lens surface. Remove excess alcohol from the mirror surface with a clean dry swab. The lens surface should be clean and free of streaks or smudges.
3.Turn on the power and make sure no smudges or streaks are visible on the monitor screen. Press X/Y to change the screen and check the state of the lens surface on both the X- and Y-screens. Perform dust check.
Electrodes wear with use and also must be cleaned periodically due to silica oxide buildup. It is recommended that the electrodes should be replaced after 1,000 arc discharges. When the number of arc discharges reaches a count of 1,000, a message prompting to replace the electrodes is displayed immediately after turning on the power. Using the electrodes without a replacement will result in greater splice loss and reduced splice strength.
- Press button on the operator panel until the LED indicator turn from red to green, release the button, now the machine is turned off.
- Remove the old electrodes and Method for tearing:
- Loosen screw located on electrode cover.
- Take electrode out of electrode cover.
(Electrode is fixed in the electrode cover)
3.Clean the new electrodes with alcohol-impregnated clean gauze or lint-free tissue and install them in the splicer.
4.Place the electrode cover and tighten screw
- Do not pull out night light wiring when replacing electrode.
- The tightening of the screw should not exceed the strength of fingers.
This function sets the date and time in the calendar incorporated in the splicer.
- In the［Maintenance Menu1］Menu, press orand move the cursor to select the [ Calendar ]
3.After completion of calendar setting, press. The date and time are stored.
Change the spare battery according to the following procedures.
- Open the cover of the battery case
Lean the Fusion Splicer; open the cover of the battery case which is at the bottom of the Fusion Splicer. See the following picture:
2.Remove the old battery
Remove the lithium battery pack from the power module of the Fusion Splicer
3.Place new battery pack
Aligning the card slot, place new battery into the power module and make sure it is plugged in tightly, then close the cover of the battery case which is at the bottom of the Fusion Splicer.
Power does not turn off when pressing
Press and hold the key until the LED color changes from red to green. Release to shut off the machine.
Few splices can be made with a fully charged battery pack
- The battery pack uses chemical reaction. The capacity decreases at low temperature, especially at lower than 0 degree.
- At high altitude, the arc discharge current is increased.
In this condition, battery power degrades faster due to large power consumption.
- The AC/DC adapter is not the model supplied by the Company, or the charging time is not long enough.
“CHARGE” LED on AC adapter blinks during battery recharge
- Atmospheric temperature is too high (more than 50 degrees C), or the battery pack is charged under exposure to sunlight.
- The battery pack has a fault or has reached the end of its service life. Install a new battery pack. If the LED blinks again after install, contact your nearest sales agency.
Summary of quick operation of the machine
- Verify that the machine is plugged in power or the battery capacity is enough; then press and hold the key until the machine is booted.
- In the standby mode, press to enter “Splice Menu” menu. Move the cursor to [Operation Options]; press to enter. Set [Auto Start] [pause 1],[pause 2] respectively as “ON”,“OFF”,“OFF”.
- Discharge Calibration*
Discharge calibration is needed because constant changing of atmospheric conditions such as temperature and pressure, and the long service of the machine creates variability in the arc temperature and position.
Step of discharge calibration
In the [ Ready ] mode, press to enter “Splice Menu” menu. Then prepare and place fiber according to the method described in fiber preparation. Close the wind protector. Press to enter [Arc Calibration]. Discharge calibration automatically starts. The user is recommended to repeatedly prepare and place fiber in discharge calibration interface, until the “Step II of discharge calibration completed” message is displayed for three times.
Note: * Discharge calibration is needed only arc power fluctuates strongly; it is not necessary upon boot every time. After discharge calibration is completed, the machine will adjust the arc discharge current according to the Calibration results to ensure fusion quality.
- Put the tube over one end of the fiber.
- Use fiber stripping pliers to strip fiber coating layer, the length of which is 1.18 in-1.57 in (30 mm-40 mm). Use gauze dipping with alcohol or wadding to wrap the fiber, and then clean the bare part.
- Use a fiber cleaver to cut the fiber.
Bare fiber length is 0.62 in (16 mm) around.
- Put the finished fiber in the Fusion Splicer. Cross-section of fiber cannot touch other things.
Cover the wind protector, then the fiber fusion automatically starts and the splicing loss is displayed.
Reinforce the fusion point
- Transfer fiber with protection sleeve from V-grooves to tube heater;
- Make sure the splice point is located at the center of the protection sleeve.
Put the tube at the center of the heater.
- Pressto start tube heating. The buzzer beeps and the HEAT LED turn off when tube heating is completed.
- Remove the tube from the heater when the heater is cool. The whole process of Fusion Operation is completed.
Repeat above steps to continue splicing.
Configuration of the fusion splicer
Following is the standard configurations of the device:
|1||Fusion Splicer||1 set|
|2||Fiber Cleaver||1 set|
|3||Fiber Stripper||1 pc|
|4||AC Adopter||1 pc|
|5||Power Cord||1 pc|
|6||Li Battery||1 pc|
|8||Cooling Tray||1 pc|
|9||Spare Electrodes||2 pair|
|10||User Manual CD||1 pc|