GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester is a compact and practical handheld 2M instrument, providing a scalable future-proof solution for the testing needs of technicians involved in the installation and maintenance of E1 digital networks. It provides BER test, alarm analysis, signaling analysis and so on which can be extensively used in R&D, production, installation and maintenance of SDH, PDH, PCM, DATA Protocol Converter. Additionally, it provides signal quality measurements including frequency, level and other functions to ensure your costly, time-consuming work is performed quickly and efficiently.
- Easy to use handheld design.
- High resolution backlit LCD.
- Smart navigation mode displays.
- HDB3 and AMI line codes.
- 75 Ω (Unbalanced), 120 Ω (Balanced) and high impedance>2 kΩ.
- Out-of-service framed/unframed testing (“TX/RX” mode).
- 2Mb/s, N×64kb/s BER testing.
- Monitoring: Signal Loss, AIS, Frame Loss, Remote Alarm, Remote MF Alarm, CRCMF Loss, CAS MF Loss, Pattern Loss Alarms and BIT, Code, FAS、CRC-4、E-BIT errors.
- Clock slip measurement.
- In-service framed/unframed testing (optional).
- Rx Hi-Z and through mode testing.
- Code, FAS, CRC-4 and E-BIT BER testing.
- FAS/NFAS, MFAS/NMFAS, timeslot activity monitoring.
- CAS and CCS signaling monitoring.
- Frequency, offset and Level measurements.
- Real-time transmit circuit open/short indication: open/short.
- Auto configure function. E1 frame format, BERT pattern, the timeslots carried BERT pattern automatically detection and setting for E1 testing
- Real-time clock.
- BERT pattern: PRBS, Fixed Code and 16-BIT User-programmable Word.
- Error injection: Single, Fixed Rate and Off.
- Reset the results to zero function.
- Auto, Manual and Timer measurements.
- Self-check, keyboard and LED testing.
- Historical alarm indication.
- Extensive beep and LED alarm indications.
- ITU-T G.821, G.826 and M.2100 performance analysis.
- Histograms analysis of error and alarm events.
- Upgradeable software via an RS232 interface.
- Up to 99 days continuance test performance,
- More than 6 hr measurement operation from a single battery charge.
- Save/Recall of up to 7 user-defined setups and 10 results.
- Test results could be uploaded, conserved and printed by TestManagerPro PC software.
- Built-in NiMH rechargeable batteries can be charged with automobile cigarette lighter battery adapter.
- Deployed for operation and maintenance of communication equipment.
- Error testing, alarm generation and detection.
- Framing data analysis, signaling analysis and delay measurement and other measurements to 2mb/s channels.
- Effective communication test tool for the maintenance, repair, deployment and development of communication equipment.
- In-service and out-of-service, framed and unframed N × 64Kb/s bit error testing.
|Alarm LEDs||Signal Loss, AIS, Frame Loss, MFrame Loss (CAS and CRC), Remote Alarm (RDI and Remote MF), Pattern Loss, Errors|
|Test Period||Manual, Auto, Timer|
|Result Analysis||G.821, G.826, M.2100 Analysis|
|E1 standards||Comply with G.703, G.706, G.732|
|PCM30: G.704 with CAS multiframe|
|PCM3:1G.704 with no multiframe|
|PCM30CRC: G.704 with CAS and CRC4 multiframe|
|PCM31CRC: G.704 with CRC4 multiframe|
|Test Pattern||PRBS: 223-1 (O.151), 215-1 (O.151), 211-1(O.153), 29-1|
|Fixed Code: 1111, 0000, 1010|
|16BIT: Fully programmable 16-bit word|
|PRBS Polarity: “Normal” or “Inverted”|
|Line Code||HDB3, AMI|
|Impedance||75 Ω Unbalance, 120 Ω Balance|
|Pulse Shape||Conforms to ITU-T G.703|
|Tx Clock Source||Internal, Interface, External source|
|Internal Tx Clock||Frequency: 2.048 MHz|
|Stability: ±10 ppm temperature 32 ℉~104 ℉ (0 ℃~40 ℃)|
|Ageing: ±2 ppm per year (typical)|
|Deviation: ±999 ppm|
|External Tx Clock||2.048 MHz ± 200 ppm binary clock or 2Mbit/s HDB3 signal|
|Error Add||BIT, CODE, FAS, CRC4, E-BIT|
|Error Add Rate||Single, OFF, Fixed Rate: 10-2, 10-3, 10-4, 10-5, 10-6, 10-7|
|Rate||2.048Mbit/s ± 999 ppm (G.703 specs ±50 ppm)|
|Line Code||HDB3, AMI|
|Pulse Shape||Conforms to ITU-T G.703|
|Impedance||“TX/RX”: 75 Ω unbalanced, 120Ω balanced|
|“RX HI-Z”: >2 KΩ unbalanced, balanced|
|“Through”: 75 Ω unbalanced, 120 Ω balanced|
|Receive Sensitivity||> -43 dB|
|External Clock Input||Binary Clock Input: 2.048 MHz, Square ware, TTL|
|2Mbit/s Signal Input: HDB3, 75 Ω unbalanced|
|Timeslot Analysis||FAS / NFAS|
|VF tone frequency and level measurement|
|Baud Rate||19.2 Kb/s|
|Character Length||8 bit|
|Stop Bits||1 bit|
|Battery||3.7×2 V Lithium rechargeable battery, 1000 mAh|
|Battery Operation time||More than 6 hours with the backlight and testing mode selected|
|Recharge Time||Approx. 2 hours|
|AC Power Adapter||Input: AC 100 V~240 V ±10% 50/60 Hz 0.45 A|
|Output: DC 12 V/1.5 A|
|Dimensions (L × W × H)||8.97in × 4.60 in/2.83 in × 2.08 in (228 mm × 117/72 mm × 53 mm)|
|Weight||1.10 lbs (0.5 kg)|
|Operating Temperature||32 ℉~122 ℉ (0 ℃~50 ℃)|
|Storage Temperature||-22 ℉~158 ℉ (-30 ℃~+70 ℃)|
|Humidity||5 %~ 95 % non-condensing|
|1||In-service framed and unframed testing|
|2||Hi-Z and through mode testing|
|3||CODE, FAS, CRC4, E-BIT BER testing|
|4||Frame data and timeslot activity monitoring|
|5||CAS and CCS signalling monitoring|
Options are available at an additional cost and not included in the base price.
|1||E1 BER Tester||1|
|2||AC Power Adapter||1|
|3||Automobile Cigarette Lighter Battery Adapter Cable||1|
|4||E1 75Ω Unbalanced Test Cable||2|
|5||E1 120Ω Balanced Test Cable||1|
|6||RS232 Communication Cable||1|
|8||Embedded Software (Built-in)||1|
|9||Test ManagerPro Setup CD||1|
|10||Li-ion Rechargeable Batteries (Built-in)||1|
|12||Quality Certificate Card||1|
Compositions of Instrument:
- Front panel: LCD display, LED alarm and status indicators, keyboard.
- Back panel: four disassembly-proof label, serial number label, back cover.
- Front end: Rx, Tx input/output interface (L9 coaxial, RJ-45), 12 VDC input jack and USB port.
Appearance of Instrument
GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester has 16 functional keys at the front panel, including main functional keys, soft keys, cursor keys, page keys, a backlight key, a power switch key, a start/stop key, and a single-error-add key.
GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester has 10 LED status and alarm indicators in all, including 2 status indicators and 8 alarm indicators, mainly indicating the current operating status of instrument and if any alarm is detected during the test process.
This instrument can be powered by external power supply or built-in rechargeable batteries.
The rechargeable batteries will typically power the instrument for more than 8 hours with the backlight and testing mode selected. The instrument uses 1 high-performance Lithium (Li-ion) rechargeable batteries (1000 mAh) placed in the battery case that may not be fully charged when the user receives the instrument. Whatever the state of charge, use the instrument until the battery is completely exhausted before giving it its first charge. This will ensure better accuracy from the battery charge indicator.
- Plug in AC adapter with the power cord, the “Charge” indicator of this instrument will turn on;
- This instrument can be switched on after “Power” key has been pressed for about 1 second. After switch-on, the LCD will display the name and the embedded software version of the instrument. About 1 second later comes with one beep, indicating that the switch-on process is completed and the LCD displays the settings menu.
- This instrument can be switched off by pressing the “Power” key again for about 1 second. When the battery has been fully charged, remove the AC power adapter. Under power supply by battery, this instrument can be switched on or off by pressing the “Power” key.
- Loopback the E1 input and output interface of the instrument with E1 75Ω unbalanced test cable.
- Switch on the instrument and check if LCD display and LED indicators are normal.
- Select error insertion type as “Single”, and press the “Single Err Add” key to check if the instrument detects errors and operates properly.
- When the user receives the instrument at the first time, please use the instrument until the battery is completely exhausted before giving its first charge.
Communication with PC
This instrument supports communication with PC via USB port by TestManagerPro software. TestManagerPro can do two jobs: one is to upload the test results stored in the instrument to PC for further processing including filing, printing and analyzing, and the other is to upgrade the embedded software of the tester via PC.
- Switch off the instrument.
- Connect USB port of the instrument to PC USB port with supplied USB communication cable.
- Switch on the instrument.
- Set PC Communication to ON in “Others” menu of the instrument.
- Run the TestManagerPro software on PC, click “Select” button to choose the model of the tester and click “Connect” button. After the successful connection, the user can upload, view, analyze, delete, print test results in the format of Excel or TXT and do other operations.
- Switch off the instrument after communication with PC.
- Pull out the USB communication cable.
Navigating the Displays
The operating menus of the GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester includes “Settings”, “Results”, “Storages” and “Others” menu, matched with the “Setting”, “Result”, “Storage” and “Other” functional keys respectively. These four menus can be switched from one to another at any time by pressing these four functional keys.
When performing the measurements for the first time with the instrument, some operators may not be familiar with the setting parameters or may have no idea of how to set the testing parameters correctly. The auto configure function is an intelligent setting tool provided by the instrument. It can help the operator in the circumstances when the operator is not familiar with the application of the instrument or the relevant parameters of the system under test are undetermined. The auto configure function will simplify the settings of the instrument.
Perform the measurements:
The basic procedure of making measurements with the instrument is:
- Select the test interface.
- Set up the measurement parameters.
- Perform the measurement.
- Display or store the results.
- Upload and analyze the stored results.
- Print the record form of the results.
Out-of-service Bit Error Rate Testing
The out-of-service error testing is mainly performed in R&D, manufacturing, field installation, engineering acceptance and daily maintenance of equipment. It can accurately perform measurements of the transmission quality of the system under test. In addition, the instrument will give full analysis on the error, signal, alarm seconds and event records, and etc. The out-of-service testing can be performed by far-end loopback and far-end mutual test.
Out-of-service BER Testing (Far-end Loopback)
Out-of-service BER Testing (Far-end Mutual Test)
In applications when the service cannot be interrupted, such as the transmission of the real-time accounting information, mobile base connection, user should make the measurements under the in-service testing mode. In-service testing provides monitoring error performance on FAS, CRC4 and E-BIT. There are two in-service testing mode including “RX HI-Z” mode and “Through” mode for user to choose based on practical needs.
“RX HI-Z” mode in-service testing
“Through” mode in-service testing
N×64Kb/s Bit Error Rate Testing
GAOTek Handheld E1 Bit Error Rate (BER) Tester is capable of testing one or several 64kb/s channels in the E1 transmission channel. Nx64kb/s BER testing is used to check timeslot integrity through the digital cross-connection equipment in R&D and engineering. A test pattern is transmitted over a group of timeslots from the near end. At the far end, the expected receive timeslots are selected and bit error rate is calculated. The E1 digital cross-connection equipment can switch one received timeslot to any timeslot of the other E1. In E1 “TX/RX” mode framed testing, select a group of timeslots in the transmit direction and expected timeslots in the receive direction to make the BER testing.
N×64Kb/s BER testing
When performing in-service testing (“RX HI-Z” or “Through” mode), not only the error measurement can be tested, but also the data and activities of all 64kb/s timeslot and signaling words in E1 signal can be monitored. It is mainly used in the testing of Exchanger, PCM DXC equipment, E1 multiplexer in R&D and engineering
Comply with G.703, G.706, G.732
- PRBS: 223-1 (O.151), 215-1 (O.151)
- 211-1(O.153), 29-1
- Fixed Code: 1111, 0000, 1010
- 16BIT: Fully programmable 16-bit word
- PRBS Polarity: “Normal” or “Inverted”
Working with TestManagerPro:
TestManagerPro communicates with series instruments via USB port or Ethernet port in PC. It can support uploading the stored data from the instrument, viewing and printing the stored results
Basic functions of TestManagerPro:
- Select the type of the instrument.
- Connect the instrument.
- Upload the test results stored in the instrument.
- View the stored results.
- Analyze the stored results.
- Clean up the uploaded records.
- Print the test results with report format.
- Configuration file management
- Configuration file Synchronization
- Upgrade the embedded software.
System Configuration and Running Environment:
- Firmware Basic Configuration Required
PC ：586/133 MHz or better
Memory ：16 MB or above
Hard disk：500 MB or above
Standard mouse and keyboard
Windows-compatible printer or plotter
CD-ROM drive for installation
Network card and cable
- Software Configuration Required
- System Configuration Recommendation
System display mode: 800×600 Pixels
Install the printer or plotter before setup
How to Use TestManagerPro:
- Connect the Instrument
Connect the instrument and the PC with network cable or USB cable. Choose the corresponding communication port in PC communication menu, and select GAOTek Handheld Gigabit Ethernet Tester as the type of instrument in the TestManagerPro software, then click Connect. If the Ethernet port is selected as communication port, the IP address in the instrument should be select accordingly.
- TestManagerPro Software Operation
Graphic windows help you operate TestManagerPro software simply and easily