GAOTek High Precision Optical Multi-meter provides automatic wavelength detection in the range 1310 nm ~1550 nm. It has a large data storage capacity which can save up to 999 sets of tested data and with the assorted software, and the user can generate a report or manage the test report easily. It comes with a battery life of more than 100 hours. It can be used to test fiber link loss, transmitter optical power measurement, fiber installation and maintenance.
- Combination of three wavelengths (1310 nm, 1490 nm and 1550 nm) in one port
- Automatic wavelength recognition and shifting to the measured wavelength in optical power meter
- Data storage of 999 sets of tested data
- Rechargeable batteries
- Transmission of the wavelength recognition code by the laser source
- Linearity and logarithmic optical power values display by the optical power meter
- Automatic shut down on low voltage and when idle time exceeds 10 minutes
|Power Meter Parameters|
|Calibration wavelength||850 nm/1300 nm/1310 nm/1490 nm/1550 nm/1625 nm|
|Connector||Interchangeable FC/SC (ST Optional)|
|Data storage||999 items|
|Display precision||0.01 dB|
|Accuracy||±5 % ±1 nW|
|Wavelength recognition||1310 nm/1490 nm/1550 nm (Input Power≥-40 dBm)|
|Tone detection||270 Hz/1 KHz/2 KHz (Input Power ≥ -40 dBm)|
|Measuring range||-70 dBm to +10 dBm||-50 dBm to + 26 dBm|
|Laser Source Parameters|
|Output wavelength||1310 nm/1490 nm/1550 nm|
|Connector||fixed FC/PC (Interchangeable FC/SC/ST Customized)|
|Modulation frequencies||270 Hz/1 KHz/2 KHz|
|Output power||-5 dBm, ±0.5 dB|
|Stability Long-term (8 h)||±0.1 dB @1310 nm/1550 nm; ±0.2 dB @1490 nm|
|Stability Short-term(15 min)||±0.05 dB @1310 nm/1550 nm; ±0.1 dB @1490 nm|
|Wavelength recognizing code||Yes|
|Auto power off||Yes|
|Power supply||2pcs*NiHM 1.2V, 2000 mAh; AC/DC Adaptor|
|Battery life||>100 hours (laser off)|
|Storage temperature||-4 °F ~ 158 °F (-20 ℃~+70 ℃)|
|Operating temperature||14 °F ~122 °F (-10 ℃~+50 ℃)|
|Relative Humidity||<90 % (non-condensing)|
L × W × H
|6.6 in × 2.9 in × 1.69 in (168 mm × 76 mm ×
|Weight||0.6 lbs (0.31 Kg)|
FC adapter, SC adapter, 2*rechargeable batteries, AC/DC adapter, 3*ceramic sleeves, USB cable, carrying bag, CD disk, user manual, test report
There is a battery indicator on the screen to show the remaining charge. There are four states the indicator may show, full, with 2 blacks, with 1 black and empty. An empty battery indicator means the power is almost out.
(See pictures below)
When the battery charge is too low to supply the necessary power, the instrument will automatically switch off.
AC adapter operation
There is a DC input jack on the bottom side of the instrument casing into which the output cable of the AC adapter is plugged. And when the AC adapter is plugged in, the indicator on the LCD will be displayed.
Note: Make sure that the operating voltage is within the range of the local AC voltage. e.g., Input: AC100- 240V, 50-60HZ.
Warning: AC adapter supply isn’t allowed when “dry batteries” are used in the instrument.
Introduction of Display, Control panel and Keypad
The keypad can be divided into two parts, one is used to control light source and the other is used to access a wide range of functions of power meter.
- LED display of wavelength display on laser source
- LED display of modulated wavelength display of laser source
- Wavelength shift key on laser source
- Switch on/ off the auto-recognition of laser source and power meter
- Modulated frequency and CW shift key on laser source
- Wavelength shift on optical power meter; in “LOAD” mode, it is to delete the value
- Unit-shifting key of optical power meter and page-up key in “LOAD” mode
- Reference value setting key on optical power meter and display current reference value
- Load and storage of optical power value
- Background light key and page-down key in “LOAD” mode
- ON/OFF key, long-key press for over 2 seconds to close the auto-off function
- 1310 nm, 1490 nm and 1550 nm output port (laser source output port)
- Current wavelength tested by the optical power meter
- Reference value in the optical power meter
- Modulated frequencies identified by optical power meter
- SINGLE: Auto-wavelength recognition of laser source and optical power meter is off
TWIN: Auto-wavelength recognition of laser source and optical power meter is on
- Number of the current data in the storage of the optical power meter
- Input port of optical power meter (optical power meter input port)
- State of the USB connection
- External power supplier indicator
- Signal of battery capacity. Please charge the battery when battery capacity is insufficient. The system shuts off automatically when the battery capacity is not enough
- Display of value unit
- AUTO-OFF AUTO-OFF defaults to turn on when the equipment is on
You can use the USB interface to connect the instrument with a PC and download the stored data. There is a socket on the bottom side of the instrument right beside the DC input jack and the USB cable supplied can be used to connect it to the USB interface of a PC. When the USB cable is connected, the indicator on the LCD will be displayed.
Turning the instrument on and off
Press the “ON/OFF” key briefly. The instrument powers on, and backlight switches on. Please check the battery capacity if it fails. Press the “ON/OFF” key briefly again. The instrument powers off, and backlight switches off.
Activating the Automatic shutdown function
The instrument powers off automatically if no key is pressed in 10 minutes. Press the “ON/OFF” key for about 2 seconds to power on the instrument with “Auto-off” function deactivated.
Switching backlight of the LCD on and off
Press the backlight key. Backlight switches on. Press the backlight key again. Backlight switches off.
Measuring the optical power or loss (Operation of power meter)
Definition of the keys in different Mode
Operating in Testing Mode
1. The key for shifting the wavelengths on power meter module.
Press the to shift among the six wavelengths of 1490 nm, 1550 nm, 1625 nm, 850 nm, 1300 nm and 1310 nm and the corresponding LED will be on. The instrument defaults to 1310 nm when it firstly turned on.
Note: The power meter defaults to auto-recognize the modulated signal of 270 Hz, 1 kHz and 2 kHz and display the signal on the LCD. If the signal is CW, it will not display modulated signal on the LCD.
2.The key for shifting the units of optical power meter
The power meter defaults to the unit of “dBm”. Press the to shift to “dB” and “mW”.
- “dB” and “mW” are the units representing the absolute value of tested power value. If the tested power value is less than 1mW in the unit of “mW”, the unit will be shifted to “uW” automatically
- “dB” is the relative value of testing power value. Firstly, the user should set a reference value. Then, the current value can be compared by the reference one. The formula is “dB” value equals to “the reference value” minus “the current power value in dBm”.
3.The key for setting reference value on optical power meter
The reference value defaults to 0.00 dBm on optical power meter module. Long key press the key for over 2 seconds, the instrument will set the current optical power value as the reference. Short key press to read the current reference value. The instrument will return to the testing state after two seconds without operation. If there’s operation, the instrument will shift to the reference editing state. Please refer to the Second Part of operation.
- Long keypress for over 2 seconds, the unit will be shifted to “dB” automatically
- When the input laser power is modulated laser source, it will affect the setting of REF value. Please guarantee the input laser source is CW laser when setting REF value.
4.The key for loading and storing the optical power values
Long key press the “load” to store the current values including the wavelength, values, modulation, states and units being tested. It will list and show the number of the current value from “001” to “999” on the LCD.
Short key press the key to check the stored data. The detailed description refers to the Part three of operation enter into the “load” mode (“history mode). Press the “load” key again to exit the “history records” mode.
Operating in Ref. Setting mode
Short key press the key of “REF” to check the reference value in the current wavelength. If there is no operation, the instrument will return to the testing state automatically after two seconds. If there is any key press like, the instrument will enter the editing state of reference.
1.is the key for increasing the reference value
Short keypress is to increase the current reference value for 0.1 dB.
Long keypress is to increase the current reference value for 1 dB.
2.is the key for decreasing the reference value
Short keypress is to decrease the reference value for 0.1 dB in the current wavelength.
Long keypress is to decrease the reference value for 1 dB in the current wavelength.
3.is the key for setting the reference value to the default one
Short keypress is to set the reference value in the current wavelength to “-5 dBm”. Long keypress is to set all the reference values in all wavelengths to “-5 dBm”.
Note: Setting the reference value to “-5 dBm” is to work with the output “-5 dBm” of the laser source. Then it can test the attenuation of the circuit.
4.is the key for deleting the reference value
Short keypress is to delete the reference value in the current wavelength to “0.00 dBm”. Long keypress is to delete all the reference values in all wavelengths to “0.00 dBm”.
5.is the key for storing the current reference setting
Press to store the current reference setting in the instrument. The stored data will be saved even when the power is cut off. The instrument will return to the measuring state and the unit will return to “dB” after the storage.
Note: The reference value is displayed but not saved before pressing the key “Ref”. No data will be restored if it is not saved by pressing the key before the power is off.
6.is the key for discarding the reference value of the current setting
Press to discard the reference value of the current setting, and all the setting data are not saved. The instrument will return to the original state. It will be back to the measuring state and the unit will be shifted to “dB”.
Operating in History Data mode
Short keypress is to check the stored data and enter into the checking state.
1.Press to page up for checking the data numbered from 001 to 999
E.g. The current value is saved as number 001; short keypress is to check the stored value numbered 999, long keypress for over 2 seconds to check the stored value numbered 990.
Note: if the data are saved less than 10 pieces, long key pressing the will make the instrument shift to the last data stored.
2.Press to down the page for checking the data numbered from 001 to 999
E.g. The current value is saved as number 001, short keypress is to check the stored value numbered 002, long keypress for over 2 seconds to check the stored value numbered 011.
Note: if the data are saved less than 10 pieces, long key pressing the will make the instrument shift to the very first data stored.
3.is the key for checking the last stored data
Press the to check the last stored data directly.
4.is the key for checking the reference value of current stored data
If the unit of the stored data is “dB”, there must be the reference value corresponding to the stored data. Press to check that reference value. If the value is not “dB”, it displays “—-” on the LCD, which means there are no reference.
5.is the key for deleting the stored data
Short keypress the to delete the current stored data displayed on the LCD. Then, the next piece of stored data will be displayed on the LCD. If the data deleted is the only data being saved in the storage, the instrument will return to the measuring state.
Long keypress the to delete all the stored data and the instrument will return to the measuring state.
6.is the key for exiting the History Data mode
Press to exit the history data mode and back to the measuring state.
Operating of Laser Source
1.The key for shifting wavelengths on laser source module
Laser source module defaults to be closed when the user turns on the equipment. Press the , the wavelength LED of 1310 nm, 1490 nm, 1550 nm display on rotation or the wavelength LED will be off.
Note: It is suggested to turn off the laser source module to save the power of the instrument.
2.The key for shifting modulated wavelength and CW on laser source module
When the laser source works on any wavelength of 1310 nm, 1490 nm and 1550 nm, press to select the modulation of 270 Hz, 1 kHz and 2 kHz in rotation and the corresponding LED of modulated wavelength will be on. Pressing the key can also turn off the modulation and shift to the CW.
Note: The operation of cannot work in the condition that the laser source module on the instrument is closed.
3.The key for switching on or off the auto-recognition code of laser source and power meter
The auto-recognition and shifting of wavelength can be realized if the. Press to turn on the auto-recognition code and “TWIN” will be displayed on the LCD. Press again is to turn off the code.
- The code of “TWIN” is on or off at the same time in the laser source and power meter modules of the instrument
- It is suggested to turn off the “TWIN” code when you don’t use it. The output of laser source will be fluctuated
- The function of “TWIN” and Modulation cannot work together. When the “TWIN” is on, modulation of laser source module is closed automatically
- Wavelength will be shifted automatically according to the recognition when the “TWIN” of power meter module is on. In other words, the modulated signal of 270Hz, 1 kHz and 2 kHz cannot be recognized and received at the moment.
- Never look directly into optical outputs or a fiber while the equipment is on. Invisible laser beam may damage your eyes.
- Do not short-circuit the terminal of AC adapter/charger and the batteries. Excessive electrical current may cause personal injury due to fumes, electric shock or equipment damage.
- Connect AC power cord with the equipment and wall socket properly. While inserting the AC plug, make sure there is no dust or dirt on the terminals and both plugs are fully seated. Incomplete engagement may cause fuming, electric shock or equipment damage and may result in personal injury.
- Do not operate the equipment near hot objects, in hot environments, in dusty/ humid atmosphere or when condensation is present on the equipment. This may result in electric shock, product malfunction or poor performance.
- Please disconnect the AC adapter/charger and cover the protective dust cap once you finish using. It is recommended to clean the connector of the instrument and the patch cord when they get dirty through use.
- Optical cleaning pads and anhydrous alcohol is recommended. And please be careful not to get the detergent inside the instrument.