The GAOTek Optical Power Meter with Insertion Loss and FC/SC/ST Interface is used to measure the power of a optical sender efficiently and is equipped with an FC/SC/ST general purpose interface. It is also equipped with ∮ 0.03 in (1.0 mm) large-area detector so that the stability and reliability may be enhanced. This portable tester is used for the installation, debugging, and maintenance of fiber networks. Additionally, it can be used in various fields such as cable construction and maintenance, optical fiber transmission, optical fiber communication, fiber optical sensor, CATV, etc.
- Measurement of the power of optical sender (dBm and W).
- FC/SC/ST general-purpose interface, no need of adaptor
- Insertion loss test of optical devices.
- New REF user-defined.
- Wavelength of 850 nm/ 1300 nm/ 1310 nm/ 1490 nm/ 1550 nm/ 1625 nm.
- Optional auto-off function and backlight switch.
- 5 V battery with 200 hours battery life
- Low battery reminder
- User self-calibration function
- Dust cap to protect the connectors from dust
|Power Detecting Range||-70 dBm to 10 dBm or -50 dBm to 26 dBm|
|Wavelength||800 nm – 1700 nm|
|Detection Limit||∮0.03 in (1.0 mm)|
|Standard Wavelength||850 nm, 1300 nm, 1310 nm, 1490 nm, 1550 nm, 1625 nm|
|Display Resolution||0.01 dBm|
|Working Temperature||-4 °F to 158 °F (-20 ℃ to 70 ℃)|
|Power Supply||1.5 V x 3pcs|
|Dimension (L x W x H)||6.3 in x 2.95 in x 1.26 in (160 mm x 75 mm x 32 mm)|
|Weight||0.55 lbs (250 g) without battery|
1. Description of the LCD Information
- Press to turn on the device, you will see the below screen.
- Is the battery icon and when operating the device the icon will be bright. When the battery is running out, the content of the icon will be less. Users need to replace new battery when it is empty.
- When using the AC adaptor, the icon will be bright. And will be too.
- Auto-off function selection: The auto-off function starts working when the device is turned on. If there is no operation for over 60 mins, the power meter will go off automatically.
- The value in the mid of the screen is the Power (units: dBm, W, Db). The value in the up-right of the screen is Power Reference (Unit: dBm). The value in the up-right of screen is Wavelength, (Unit: nm).
2. Wavelength Selection
Users can select the desired wavelength among 850 nm, 1300 nm, 1310 nm, 1490 nm, 1550 nm and 1625 nm by pressing
3. Absolute power measurement
- Use one major bridle wire to connect the output port of light source and the detecting port of fiber power meter as shown in the following figure:
- Turn on the light source to enter working mode and select wavelength to be tested.
- Turn on the fiber power meter and select specified wavelength
- The current power value on the screen is just the absolute power value of current output of light source as shown in the following figure (the current value is -09.73 dBm)
4. Relative power (LOSS) measurement
Relative power measurements are used to determine the power loss between two points in the system. The power level is first measured at one point and that value is saved in the meter as a reference. The power is then measured at another point. The meter subtracts the reference value from the new reading and displays the difference in dB.
- Connect the desired connector to the meter. Connect the two ends of the optical fiber jumper with light source and power meter.
- Turn on the light source and select wavelength to be tested
- Turn on the power meter and select the same wavelength as light source.
- When the output power of light source has been detected, just press key, this power value will be stored as the current reference value (this power value consists of actual output of light source and loss value caused by major test bridle wire).
- Connect the tested optical fiber jumper with light source and power meter.
- Shortly press key, the value on screen is the loss value of the bridle wire being inserted.
- If to measure the loss of optical fiber link, it is necessary to carry out local initialization reference for light source and optical power meter, as shown in the following figure, read the initial reference value on optical fiber meter and it is available to press the key continuously to save this reference value.
- Connect the optic fiber link with light source and power meter respectively. The value on power meter is just the loss value of optical fiber link being tested (including the loss of linker).
5. Visual fiber fault testing (650 nm)
- Open the battery cover and put 3 pcs 1.5 V battery in the device. (Avoid putting the battery in the opposite direction.)
- Open the dust cap, take out the rubber cap, connect the fiber cable; then turn on the device, press the toggle keys to the VFL Mode. At this time, you can see red light on the connector. (Note: Don’t look at the red light directly)
- Connect the fiber cable into the connector, press the switch to choose frequency and working mode: Continuous or pulse.
- When the device is not being operated, put the dust cap to protect the connectors. And take out the battery if not in use for a long time.
Description of the Control Panel
1. Keys functions
- “Power” Key
Short press to turn on the device, the default is to turn off the device after 1 hour.
- “Wavelength” Key
Press to choose the desired wavelength among 850 nm, 1300 nm, 1310 nm, 1490 nm, 1550 nm,1625 nm, after that, the selected wavelength will be shown at the upper-left corner.
To select the testing mode of Absolute power measurement and Relative power measurement.
Long press the button to save the reference power value, which will be shown at the upper-right corner. Short press the button to test relative power loss, and users can read the test value from the screen. The unit is dB.
Press the button, the icon “Auto-off” will be shown at the lower left of the screen, it means the auto-off function is working. The device will turn off automatically if there is no operation over 60 mins. Press the button again to turn off the auto-off function.
Press the button, the light will turn on and if there is no operation for a long time, it will go off.
1. Power meter
- When turning on the device, the system default is for power meter.
- Short press to select wavelength.
- Short press to select unit.
- Short press to show the last reference value (The default value is 0).
- Long press to save the latest reference value.
2. Light function
- Turn on the device, the light will be on. And if there is no operation for a long time, it will go off.
- Short press the to start the function again. Press it again to turn it off.
When the device is not in use, please put it into the related box to keep it clean and safe. They are several tips to tell you:
- Clean the fiber connector before use.
- Put the dust cover to avoid the dust.
- Put it in a clean and dry place to avoid the sunlight.
- Avoid high temperature or strong humidity
- Keep it safe to avoid the strong impact vibration.
- Close the power directly and dry it, if there is any liquid flow on the device.
1. Clean the probe of the fiber tester
- Open the dust cover first
- Spin off the connect adapter slowly.
- Use Cotton swabs with little anhydrous alcohol to wipe the surface.
Note: when you clean the fiber tester probe, don’t use a hard object to touch it as that may cause damage; Use it gently in order to keep the test accuracy; after use cover it with the dust cover immediately.
2. Battery installation and replacement
The fiber tester uses DC 3x 1.5 V battery behind the cover.
· When you see this sign on the device, it tells you that the power is low or that the battery has not been installed.
- Please use a qualified battery.
- Remember to take the battery out to avoid damaging the device when you not operating it.
3. Calibration and measurement
In order to keep the device accuracy of measurement, you need to measure it again each year; if there is some deviation please calibrate it again to keep the accuracy.
Common Troubleshooting and Solution
|Common problems||Possible reasons||Solutions|
|Fiber optical meter cannot test the power accurately||Work with light wavelength does not match||Change the working wavelength of optical power meter|
|Cannot open the device or display screen||Lack of battery||Change the battery|
|LCD display weak||Lack of battery||Use the battery adaptor/change battery|
|Optical power fluctuations when opening it||Laser without preheating||Open source, activate the working wavelength preheat test after 30 minutes|
|Weak light source output power||Light source connection not clean or power weakening||Correct clean source connection|
- Handheld optical fibers tester – 1 pc
- User manual – 1 pc
- 1.5 V battery – 3 pcs
- Clean cotton swabs – 1 bag
- Certificate of approval – 1 pcs
- Toolkit – 1 pcs
- Color box – 1 pcs
- The charging adapter – 1 pcs (can be chosen)
- 1.5V charging battery – 3 pcs (can be chosen)
Applications of the Instrument
- Detection and location of fiber fault
- Measurement of power output.
- Measurement of loss in fiber cable or device.
- Fiber installation and maintenance
- Fiber transmission and telecommunication field