GAOTek Flaw Detector with Two Detection Methods (Free Switching) is designed to locate, evaluate and diagnose various defects using ultrasonic wave with a frequency range from 0.5 MHz to 20 MHz and can be used both in field and lab. This Flaw detector detects defects in crack, inclusion, pinholes etc. in a workplace without destruction. It provides peak and edge type two detection methods. The battery of this detector supports 10 hours continuous working with high performance environmental safety and complies with IP65 standard. It is an essential instrument for non-destructive inspection industry.
- Two hole test method: automatic calibration value K, frontier, zero, material velocity
- 100 independent detection channels, free storage, playback 300 A sweep waveform and data (can be expanded according to the needs of users)
- DAC, AVG curves and it can be sectioned, sampling point is not restricted, and can make correction and compensation
- Automatic recording inspection process, and it can be dynamic playback
- Oblique angle probe (K) automatic calculation
- Two detection methods: peak and edge
- Three kinds of probe mode: single, double and penetration
- High sampling rate and low noise
- Echo frequency analysis
- Five-range repetition frequency settings
- Can be upgraded instrumentation system using the PC end of the communication software
- High performance environmental safety of lithium battery can work continuously 10 hours
- IP65 standard aluminum magnesium alloy shell, durable, anti-interference ability, waterproof and dustproof
- LCD Screen with adjustable brightness and suitable for bright and dark environment
- Fast knob adjustment and convenient operation
|Scanning Range||0 in to 393.70 in (0 mm to 10000 mm)|
|D-delay||-20 µs to +3400 µs|
|P-delay||0.0 µs to 99.99 µs|
|MTLVEL||100 m/s to 20000 m/s|
|Communication Interface||RS-232, USB2.0|
|Working Mode||Single Probe, Double Probe and Transmission Probe|
|Horizontal Linear Error||≤ 0.1 %|
|Vertical Linearity Error||≤ 3 %|
|Flaw Detection Sensitivity||≥ 62 dB (deep 7.87 in (200 mm) ɸ 2 flat-bottomed hole)|
|Dynamic Range||≥ 32 dB|
|Resolution||≥ 40 dB|
|Frequency Range||0.5 MHz to 20 MHz|
|Gain Control||0 dB to 130 dB|
|Material Velocity||100 m/s to 20000 m/s|
|Echo Suppression||0 % to 80 %|
|Battery||Lithium battery: 7.4 V 4800 mAh|
|Dimension||8.86 in × 6.69 in × 1.97 in (225 mm × 170 mm × 50 mm)|
|Weight||3.97 lbs. (1.8 kg)|
|Working Humidity||20 % RH to 90 % RH|
|Operating Temperature||-16.6 °F to 158 °F (-27 °C to 70 °C)|
- Manufacturing industry
- Iron & steel metallurgical industry
- Chemical industry
- Railway transportation
- Boiler pressure vessels
- Main unit-1
- 5 A/9 V power adaptor-1
- Probe connecting cable-2
- Carrying case-1
- Instruction manual-1
- Straight probe- 3.4” 2.5 MHz (one)
- Angle probe- 60° 4 MHz (one)
- Serial cable –1 (9 pin)
- Communication software for PC – 1 set
- Get ready for the job.
- Insert the probe plug into the probe socket of the host, rotate tightly the locking nut.
- Press the power button and turn on the instrument.
- It will carry out self-test.
- In normal case, when you turn on the unit, it automatically enters into the status that it is in during last turning off. The instrument parameters are consistent with last turning off, but the waveform during last turning off will not display.
- Check voltage of the battery. If the power monitor shows that the voltage is low, it will turn off automatically 1 min after alarming bell.
- According to the application, ten independence setups can be applied, any criterion can be input freely, and we can work in the scene without test block.
- Measure and save the results, big memory of 300 A graph.
- Turn off the instrument.
Description about Screen Display
Three Display Modes of Device’s Screen
- A-scan at normal mode
- A-scan at Enlarged mode
- Manual B-scanning
Keyboard picture is as follows
Function Displaying Items
The 16 functional groups are displayed at lower part of the screen in three pages. The current functional group will be highlighted, as that shown in the figure. And at the same time, the current function in the current functional group will also be highlighted, as that shown in the figure. Under Enlarged mode, the display of functional groups disappear.
Description about Symbols Displayed on Screen
In the fig left, echo amplitude H=84 %, depth to the reflector = 0.06 in (1.57 mm), surface distance= 0.98 in (25.14 mm), echo times is 2, start of range=0.0 mm, end of range= 1.57 in (40.0 mm)
In the fig left, echo amplitude (pixels) H=148, Angular distance= 1.08 in (27.68 mm).
Description about other symbols
|!||Communication||The instruments are communicating with PC.|
|Angular distance||distance from the incidence point to the reflector point|
|Depth to reflector||depth from the incidence point to the reflector point.|
|Surface distance||surface distance from the incidence point to the reflector point.|
|Echo amplitude||The amplitude value of max echo within the gate.|
|Edge sampling||It shows that the instrument is in “Edge sampling” mode, depth and angular distance is the measure value of the first echo which is above the gate and within the gate.|
|Peak sampling||It shows that the instrument is in “Peak sampling” mode, depth and angular distance is the measure value of the echo with the max amplitude within the gate.|
|P||Memory peaks||peaks memory function is enabled.|
|T||Making video||Dynamic Record function is enabled.|
|E||Operation error||Operation error last time.|
|Radian revise||Abscissa and measure result is revised according to radian.|
Adjustment of BASE Group
In the BASE functional group, users can adjust and set the functional items relative with the display range, including RANGE, MTLVEL, D-DELAY and T-VALUE.
During the detection, the display range of screen is in great relation to the material of workpiece and probe’s nature. The workpiece material will influence the transmission velocity of ultrasonic wave.
Detection Range (RANGE)
It is to set the measuring range for screen display during detection.
Range: 0 mm to 1000 mm/0.1 in to 200 in.
If what selected currently is RANGE functional menu, then by pressing , it is allowed to shift between Rough and Fine adjustment.
0.09 in (2.5 mm), 0.19 in (5 mm), 0.39 in (10 mm), 0.78 in (20 mm), 1.18 in (30 mm), 1.57 in (40 mm), 1.96 in (50 mm), 2.36 in (60 mm), 2.75 in (70 mm), 3.14 in (80 mm), 3.54 in (90 mm), 3.93 in (100 mm), 5.90 in (150 mm), 7.87 in (200 mm), 9.84 in (250 mm), 11.81 in (300 mm), 13.77 in (350 mm), 15.74 in (400 mm), 17.71 in (450 mm), 19.68 in (500 mm), 23.62 in (600 mm), 27.55 in (700 mm), 31.49 in (800 mm), 35.43 in (900 mm), 39.37 in (1000 mm), 78.74 in (2000 mm), 118.11 in (3000 mm), 157.48 in (4000 mm), 196.85 in (5000 mm), 236.22 in (6000 mm), 275.99 in (7000 mm), 314.96 in (8000 mm), 354.33 in (9000 mm), 393.70 (10000 mm).
Range Step graduation
≤ 3.93 in (100.0 mm) 0.003 in (0.1 mm)
> 3.93 in (100 mm) 0.03 in (1 mm)
- By <Page up> key, switch the function page.
- Select BASE functional group by <F1> key, and by “↑” or “↓” key, select the functional menu for RANGE, and then adjust parameters for RANGE by “+” or “﹣” key.
- Users can shift the Rough and Fine adjusting mode by key .
Material velocity (MTLVEL)
Users are allowed to set the transmission velocity of ultrasonic wave in workpiece.
Range: 1,000 m/s to 15000 m/s or 0.0394 in/µs to 0.3937 in/µs
If what selected currently is MTLVEL function menu, then by the key , it is allowed to shift between Rough and Fine adjustment.
|2,260 m/s||0.089 in/µs||Sound velocity of transverse wave in copper|
|2,730 m/s||0.107 in/µs||Sound velocity of longitudinal wave in organic glass|
|3,080 m/s||0.121 in/µs||Sound velocity of transverse wave in aluminum|
|3,230 m/s||0.127 in/µs||Sound velocity of transverse wave in steel|
|4,700m/s||0.185 in/µs||Sound velocity of longitudinal wave in copper|
|5,900m/s||0.233 in/µs||Sound velocity of longitudinal wave in steel|
|6,300m/s||0.248 in/µs||Sound velocity of longitudinal wave in aluminum|
Fine adjustment: Step is 1 m/s or 0.0001 in/µs
Display starting point (D-DELAY)
Can set the pulse shift during detection, viz. D delay. By which, users are allowed to adjust the starting position for waveform, as well as adjusting the zero point of pulse, so as to make sure that it is at the surface or a starting face inside the workpiece. If the pulse has to be started from the surface of workpiece, D delay must be set to 0.
Range: -20 µs to 3400 µs
Step: 0.1 µs
- By <Page up> key, switch the function page.
- Select BASE functional group by <F1> key, and by “↑” or “↓” key, select the functional menu for D-DELAY, and then adjust parameters for D-DELAY by “+” or “﹣” key.
- Users can shift the Rough and Fine adjusting mode by key .
Thickness of workpiece (T-VALUE)
It is to set the thickness of workpiece during detection.
Thickness range: 0.03 in to 39.37 in (1 mm to 1000 mm)
Rough and Fine adjustment can be switched by the <Enter> key.
Rough adjustment: 0.03 in (1 mm), 0.19 in (5 mm), 0.39 in (10 mm), 0.78 in (20 mm), 1.96 in (50 mm), 3.93 in (100 mm), 7.87 in (200 mm), 11.81 in (300 mm), 15.74 in (400 mm), 19.68 in (500 mm), 23.62 in (600 mm), 27.55 in (700 mm), 31.49 in (800 mm), 35.43 in (900 mm) and 39.37 in (1000 mm)
0.003 in (0.1 mm) < 3.93 in (<100 mm)
0.03 in (1 mm) >3.93 in (>100 mm)
- By <Page up> key switch the function page.
- Select BASE functional group. By < range > key, and by up/down key, select the functional menu for T-VALUE, and then adjust parameters for T-VALUE by the rotary knob.
- Users can shift the Rough and Fine adjusting mode by the <Enter> key.
Adjustment of PROBE Group
With this functional group, it is allowed to adjust and set the functional items in relation to ultrasonic sending and receiving, including PROBE TYPE/ PROBE POS, ANGLE/K-VALUE, P-DELAY/ X-VALUE, X-COORD/ PART DIA.
Adjustment of setting
Setting Group is used for Operations of detection setting. It includes SETTING, RECALL/REFACTORY, SAVE, DELETE/CLEAR ALL.
Adjustment of MEM Group
This is for adjusting the memorizing modes, calling out, deleting and saving the configured data and detection parameters. It includes such functional menus as DATA NO, RECALL, SAVE and DELETE.
This instrument can memory 300 sets of data and detection parameters as well as DAC curves from A-scan.
Note: When the MEM mode is waveform memory, the data saved includes waveform data of A-scan at that time and present detection parameters and DAC curve. This means, when calling a set of saved data, not only the waveform displayed currently will change into the waveform saved, but also current instrument’s detection parameters also change into the saved data.
Adjustment of GATE Group
It is used for adjustment of gate settings, including Gate logic, Gate alarm, Gate start, Gate width and Gate height.
Functions of gate during detection:
- To monitor whether the job has flaws in the set logic and range, if yes, it will alarm.
- To measure the position and size of flaw echo.
It is necessary to calibrate the sound speed, pitch interval and probe delay for the instrument, so as to be adaptive to the detection condition. The reason for calibrating sound speed and probe delay is that the calculation of parameters displayed in the status line is relative with sound speed and probe delay, therefore you must calibrate before detection; while the purpose for calibrating pitch interval is to make it display waveform in proper range of pitch interval on the screen, so as to judge and evaluate the defects better. In order to operate the instrument safely and correctly, the calibration shall be calibrated by a professional technician from field of ultrasonic detection.
In the instrument, the baud rate of RS-232 serial port is fixed 9600, one start bit, two stop bits, 8 digital bits, and there is no check bit.
One end of the standard USB cable connects with USB interface of the instrument, another end with USB port of PC. The instrument will upload the images and data saved through USB port to PC.
The customer software installed on PC can edit, save, or print the images and data.
- Before connecting or disconnecting USB with/from the instrument or PC, please first turn off the instrument.
- During the communication, never remove the communication cable, turn off PC software just as you like, otherwise the communication will fail hence the instrument will not work.
- If any abnormality happens which results in failure in communication, please re-start the instrument.
Tips on Safety
The design of the instrument meets relative safety standard. During the operation, it should meet the specified external ambient condition, and the operator shall be furnished with concerned technology background, so as to guarantee safe operation. Before putting the instrument into operation, please read carefully the following tips on safety:
System Power Supply
The instrument can be supplied power either with external power adaptor or Li ion battery. When selecting the power adaptor and battery, please use the products recommended by us.
When the following abnormal situation happens, it means there is fault in the instrument, Turn off it and take out the battery if necessary. And send the instrument to a specified service point for repairing.
- The instrument has suffered obvious mechanical damage (e.g. serious extrusion or collision during transportation).
- The instrument keyboard or screen display is abnormal.
- It is stored in an environment with high temperature, high humidity or that is corrosive.
- This instrument is a non-destructive inspection instrument for inspecting material, it is not allowed to use as a medical instrument.
- The instrument is limited to be used in lab and industrial environment.